QuaxiDanto

QuaxiDanto: If you speak K'ekchi, you know what it means, but don’t understand. K'ekchi is a Mayan dialect spoken in, among other places, Belize. I made several extended trips into the high bush in southern Belize at the end of the last century with a bunch of K'ekchis who gave me the nickname Danto, which means Tapir. That name had been taken so I added the modifier Quaxi, which means crazy. What does CrazyTapir mean as far as the title of my blog? Whatever!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

I am an enigmatic anachronism, facing the world jaded and uncomfortably impressed. My chosen profession is archaeology, which turns out to be way more tedious than cool. I race yachts, hang with the bohemian artist crowd, and vacation at ancient Maya cities. Its no wonder I usually feel out of place, and am oh-so-pleased to be different (even if it is not in a good way). Why TOC?: I was participating through emails in a call-in radio show that didn’t accept phone calls (it’s college radio, which covers a multitude of sins). The host had a friend named Chuck who also wrote into the show so they started referring to me as “the other Chuck.” I started signing my emails TOC (The Other Chuck). A little later I started posting to a blog that was running live during the next program in the lineup and then a couple of other places and have just kind of stuck with it as a screen name. Again, whatever dude.

Monday, October 10, 2005

Cleveland Chili

Still no progress on compressing any of the Canada pictures or any more from Belize. Maybe this week. Things look like they will be slow. Job One is getting my new computer up and running and on the network. It should be little more than plugging a few plugs, but it never works out that way. The big thing will be getting all of the data from my present hard drive onto my new one. I have a bunch of favorites and emails, etc. that I am not sure will be easily transferred from the Windows98 versions of the software to, actually I am not even sure what the operating system is on the new computer. I have had it for about three weeks and have not even turned it on. I was working on the reports for three projects and didn’t want to deal with any bullshit until they were all turned in. If there is a serious compatibility problem, which could happen since a lot of the programs I use are older versions and I am not sure they will all deal with a new operating system.

I had too much fun this weekend. Friday was a charity drinking event at the Blind Pig. I got totally hammered. I also got hit on big time by a couple of women. That don’t happen to me. I am not sure what it was all about. The one was a young attractive student from Akron U. I am still kicking myself for not taking her home, she was definitely interested in fucking me, but it just didn’t seem right. I much prefer intimacy to anonymous sex. I guess at this point I should take what I can get, which until Friday was nothing. The whole thing seemed like one of those girls gone wild adds. Her girlfriend was standing right in front of me, at the bar, getting felt up by this guy and grinding on my knee. Meanwhile she has her arms around me and is rubbing her chest and stomach up and down on me. I am kicking myself harder the more I think about it.

Saturday was the initial viewing of Chris Peplin’s first film. He is a friend’s son. It was a short about a poker game that goes bad. A good effort from what I can tell. The sound was not quite right, but it was an initial screening of the film in a not quite finished state not its premier. It was entertaining and well paced. It had some visually interesting shots and the story was worth telling. The party was fun. I saw a bunch of my friends that I had not seen since last winter. It is weird. Most of them are people I know from sailing, but we don’t sail together anymore and never see each other during summer. When winter comes around and people start having more time for parties that is when we finally see each other. This Hollywood-party Cleveland style was of course a big drink fest.

Sunday was a little tough. I woke up and went over to a friend's for some Cleveland-style chili, which was inspired by my culinary machinations. We were talking about favorite sandwiches and I made the comment that “it isn’t really a samich if you don’t put a fried egg on it.” Pete has always liked and remembered that concept. He decided that he was going to invent a new traditional Cleveland dish-Cleveland Chili (ala, Cincinnati style chili, Texas style chili, etc.). It is essentially a bowl if chili with a fried egg and sour cream on top. As I was sort of the inspiration, I was invited to participate in its unveiling. A Sunday morning get-together before the Browns game, which I actually thought we were going to watch on TV together, but everybody else was going down to the stadium to watch. I was happy to have a bowl of chili, a couple of beers, and head back home. I was still drunk from Saturday night and was back asleep before the game started. I did manage to get up and catch the fourth quarter (Go Browns). After the game, I took a nap.

Oh, the Cleveland Chili – excellent, the sour cream and egg yoke made the chili rich, thick, and creamy. There is actually a tradition in Italy of putting eggs in tomato sauce, which is really good. I didn’t mention it to Pete, he was very proud of his inspired creation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home